3-4 medium potatoes
10 oz. spinach (fresh or frozen, but fresh is better)
1-2 cups flour
salt, to taste
1. Wash, peel, and dice potatoes. In boiling water, cook them until soft, then mash them up any way you please. (Potato masher... or a pastry blender works great!)
2. Steam spinach and chop finely- there will be lots of water when chopping, drain as needed.
3. In large bowl, combine spinach and potatoes. Add egg and mix well. Add 1 cup of flour and knead in. Continue to add a little flour at a time, kneading until the dough is soft yet firm (it will still be a bit sticky).
NOTE: If you are not planning to top your gnocchi with a saltier cheese, you will want to add some salt during this step.
4. Cover hands with flour to roll dough into teaspoon size balls (or size of choice). Press gently with tines of fork to semi-flatten.
5. Bring a pot of water to a boil. Place gnocchi a few at a time in boiling water. It is cooked when it floats to the top. Remove with a slotted spoon.
6. Serve with a sauce of your choice: pesto, white, red, or a cheesy cream sauce like Gogonzola. Top with freshly grated Pecorino Romano or Parmigiano-Reggiano.