Thursday, July 14, 2011

Peanut Butter Oatmeal: Afternoon Delight



I got some steel cut oats last week (my first time trying them, loved them) and was playing around with different things to accompany them. As someone who adds peanut butter to lots of things (brownies, ice cream, granola bars, etc.), I am kinda surprised I hadn't considered adding peanut butter to oatmeal. Not exactly something to eat every morning, I'll still only let Siena eat it with applesauce mixed in, but certainly there are worse things you could eat. I enjoyed it this afternoon and it was delightful.

Ingredients

1/2 cup steel cut oats
1 1/2 cup water (if using regular oatmeal,  it is a 1:2 ratio instead of 1:3)
1 Tbsp. natural peanut butter (or more!)
a handful of chocolate chips, if desired

Directions
 
Bring water to a boil. Add oatmeal and stir. Reduce heat to medium low and allow oatmeal to cook, stirring occasionally. Oatmeal is done with most of the water has evaporated. Remove from heat, stir in peanut butter and chocolate chips- adding a few on top, of course.

3 comments:

  1. I talked to a personal trainer at Gold's Gym once who ate peanut butter in his oatmeal every morning for breakfast. I still haven't tried it (I think I got peanut buttered out my freshman year), but I think Sam might go for it-- especially if I add some chocolate chips. I've also never thought to stir applesauce in to Bria's! I'll have to try that (so much better than all the brown sugar she usually wants).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'll be trying this with sliced bananas added in! And maybe a drizzle of honey...

    ReplyDelete