Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Whole Grain Pancake Mix




Well, here I am trying to play catch up and post some of the recipes that have been floating around on my computer. I'll admit, I haven't been trying many new recipes. The past year of residency was a loooong one. It was Nick's busiest year and having a new baby didn't leave me much motivation to be adventurous in the kitchen. I was ever grateful for this little spot where I could quickly find recipes that we've tried and enjoyed-making my grocery shopping and meal planning so much easier.

I saw this recipe for pancake mix a few months ago and immediately tried it out. I made a double batch and froze it and had great results. As always, I adapted it to what is usually in my fridge (i.e. probably no buttermilk, maybe no eggs- other eggless recipes are already drafted.) It is simple and great on it's own (or drizzled with something extra delicious) and my kids absolutely love it. Win win.


Ingredients
Mix
 3 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
4 cups white whole-wheat flour
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
3 Tbsp. sugar
3 Tbsp. baking powder
1 Tbsp. baking soda
1 Tbsp. salt
3/4 cup canola oil*

Pancakes
1 cup mix (above)
3/4 cup buttermilk (or 1/2 cup greek yogurt + 1/4 cup milk)
1 large egg, lightly beaten (or a few Tbsp. of applesauce)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. lemon zest, optional

Directions
Mix
 Pulse oats in a food processor until finely ground (but not a powder). Transfer oats to an electric mixer and add in flours, sugar, baking power, baking soda, and salt. Mix on low speed to combine. Drizzle oil in bowl slowly while mixer is still running. Continue to mix until evenly combined and mixture clumps slightly.

Transfer to an air-tight container and store up to 1 week at room temperature or long term in the freezer.

Pancakes
 Combine 1 cup of pancake mix with buttermilk (I always use the yogurt/milk mixture), egg (or applesauce), vanilla extract, and optional lemon zest.  Allow to sit for about 15 mintues while the whole grains absorb liquid.

Heat skillet over medium heat and pour 1/3 cup batter onto greased skillet. Cook until bubbles form and flip over, allowing other side to cook until lightly golden brown.

Notes:
-For my two kids who LOVE pancakes, I prepare 2 cups of mix at a time. We usually have a few pancakes left over for the following morning.

*I put way less than 3/4 cup of oil, just a drizzle to get it to stick together a bit. I may try coconut oil next time.

slightly adapted from Annie's Eats, originally from King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking

No comments:

Post a Comment