Thursday, November 18, 2010

Thai-Style Pork Stew


 
adapted from Cooking Light

   We always like trying new recipes, and every now and then we find something extra tasty. I think this is one of those recipes. It certainly doesn't hurt that it is super quick to prepare and leaves the house smelling incredible. It was a teeny spicy for me,  but I will probably make it the same way next time. Nick thought the spice was perfect. (I'm kinda wimpy though.)

Ingredients
Stew:
2 pounds pork loin roast, boneless (other cuts of pork would likely work)
1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
3-4 Tbsp rice or white wine vinegar
1 tsp. crushed red pepper
1 tsp. sriracha sauce 
1/4-1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter
2-3 cups (1 x 1/4-inch) julienne-cut red, orange, yellow bell pepper 

Remaining ingredients:
 brown basmati rice
1/2 cup chopped green onions
chopped cilantro
2 Tbsp. chopped dry-roasted peanuts  
lime wedges
Directions

1. To prepare stew, trim fat from pork. Place pork and next 6 ingredients (pork through garlic) in an electric slow cooker. Cover with lid, and cook on low-heat setting for 8 hours. After 7 hours, shred pork with forks. Add 1/2 cup of peanut butter and bell peppers; stir well. Recover and allow to continue cooking for an additional  30 minutes to hour. At this time, cook basmati rice.
2. Combine stew and rice in a large bowl. Top each serving with cilantro, green onions, and peanuts; serve with lime wedges.

4 comments:

  1. I'm really behind on my blogs since I was in utah for two weeks, so I just read this, but this looks delish! I will definitely be trying this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. fantastico- I think you'll like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We loved this! I tried the pork before the peanut butter was added and the flavor was so good I was afraid to alter it. The peanut butter was so much better than free range peanuts I normally try to avoid in dishes. It looked so beautiful too. Thanks Jenna!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been craving it since we had it last- you can almost never go wrong with peanut butter :)

    ReplyDelete