Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Honey Lime Enchiladas



adapted from many-a-cooking blog, originally from The Sisters Cafe


Weird. I just noticed that I posted this June 25, 2010- almost exactly a year ago. Well, after a year of eating this many times I think I've found my favorite way to prepare it. Adding black beans and fresh chopped spinach as well as omitting the cream make these a little bit healthier and even more tasty.

Ingredients

4-5 Tbsp. honey
juice from 2 small or 1 large lime (approx 5 Tbsp.)
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. chili powder
1 lb. chicken breast, cooked and shredded (approx. 2 large chicken breasts)
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
fresh baby spinach, to taste (I do maybe 3-4 oz?)
12 8-inch whole wheat or flour tortillas
Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded (or Mexican blend)
14 oz. green enchilada sauce (I'm partial to Hatch enchilada sauce)
1/4 cup heavy cream or half and half (*can omit entirely)

Directions

1. Mix the honey, lime juice, garlic powder, and chili powder in a small bowl. Add the shredded chicken and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1/2 hour, but up to several hours.

2.  Take spinach leaves, stack several, roll up and chop. Repeat as needed until all spinach is chopped.

3. Pour 1/2 cup enchilada sauce on the bottom of a 9x13 baking pan. Fill tortillas with chicken & bean mixture, spinach, and shredded cheese (saving enough cheese to sprinkle on top) and roll tightly. Mix the remaining enchilada sauce with the cream and leftover marinade. Pour on top of the enchiladas and sprinkle with cheese. *Last time I didn't use any cream and I didn't miss it at all. Promise.

3. Bake in preheated oven at 350 F for 20-30 minutes, until brown and crispy on top.

Serves 4-6.

No comments:

Post a Comment